I Am A Open Water Swim:
"I signed up for a sprint triathlon and quickly learned I really had no idea what to do to make it farther than one length of the pool. I started with swim lessons at the Y, where I learned bilateral breathing and started overcoming some of my discomfort in the water. But my form was not good, and I had to fix it. Jeff got me going down the path of proper body positioning. He patiently assessed where I was and gave me the keys to horizontal balance. With his encouragement, I continued to chip away, developing my muscle memory and breathing skills. I couldn't have done it without him. I now swim a continuous 30 minutes at least twice a week."
Open Water Swimmer and Triathlete
Streamlined Performance Coaches Open Water Swim
Open water swimming competitions officially became an Olympic event for the first time in 2008. As a result, many people worldwide are excited to get involved in open water swimming, either for a new adventure of unique training conditions or to take advantage of these exciting expanding competitive opportunities. As a skilled open water swimmer, you will be able to enter open water swim competitions, triathlons taking place in lakes and ocean waters, as well as a proficient fitness swimmer that feels comfortable taking advantage of what great outdoors swimming has to offer.
Open water swimming is a completely different approach than the usual swimming pool conditioning and technique training. Streamlined Performance has a tailor-made extensive history with open water swimming, with the ultimate goal of leaving you with a skillset that will give you the open water swimming confidence necessary to challenge wide-open waters of any variety. There are some potential open water risks and hazards, however, with thoughtful planning, open water swimming can "open" up whole new worlds for both athletes and coaches.
Streamlined Performance Open Water Swim Clinic Summary:
Open water swimmers need to be competitive and competent in new areas of swimming technique not commonly discussed in the average swimming pool environment. Streamlined Performance has the experience and competency in these new areas. We can help you use your open water training time to your greatest individual advantage. Whatever your distinct situation may be, we can help customize an open water program for you so that you are open water swimming faster and easier, while spending less time training. Our Streamlined Performance open water swimming courses are offered from the basic technique level through advanced open water training.
You can expect to learn in a Streamlined Performance Open Water Swim Clinic:
- Fundamentals of the freestyle stroke.
- Building blocks to the perfect stroke.
- Efficiency secrets.
- Adding power to the stroke.
- Individual video analysis.
- Learning accelerators.
- Swimming faster and easier.
- Creating a seasonal plan.
- Creating practices.
- Energy systems/cycle training.
- Role of rest.
- How to make it happen within your timeframe (customizing).
- Much more.
- Stroke analysis.
- Individual planning.
- Energy system training.
- Specific training.
- Advanced drilling.
- Level 3 swimmer.
- Swimming fast with limited training time.
- Open water.
- Pool Session - Efficiency testing, video taping, establishing baseline.
- Classroom - Fundamentals of freestyle, building blocks of the stroke.
- Pool Session - Building the stroke.
- Classroom - The learning process.
- Pool Session - Efficient freestyle and individual triage.
- Classroom - History of training, training theory.
- Pool Session - Learning accelerators.
- Classroom - Energy systems, cycle training, specific training, seasonal plan, creating practices.
- Pool Session - Energy system practice, sample practice.
- Classroom - Individual goals, Q & A.
- Pool Session - Test efficiency, re-video, individual feedback.
Pre-Camp Checklist (recommended):
- Goggles and a spare.
- Swim suit and a spare.
- Zoomers or other short training fin.
- Water bottle.
- Healthy snacks.
- Warm clothing.
- Shoes to swim in.
- Pen and paper.